Smart People :)

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Chana Dal Chicken



Sending this recipe to Show Me Your Curry! event hosted by Divya of Dil Se...

I first tried this dish in Saudi Arabia, when I went for Hajj - last year. This brings back a lot of memories that I can't express in words. This particular dish is protein rich and perfect for guest serving or main course item.


Ingredients:
  1. One chicken breast - cut in small pieces
  2. One and a half cup chana dal - soaked over night and partially boiled
  3. Lal masala - One tblsp red chili powder, One tblsp dhaniya powder, a pinch of turmeric powder and one and a half tblsp of ginger-garlic paste
  4. Salt per taste
  5. Three black peppers (whole)
  6. Three-four cloves
  7. One cinnamon stick
  8. Half tsp of cumin seeds
  9. One medium onion - finely chopped
  10. One medium tomato paste
  11. Four tblsp oil.
  12. Water - as needed.
Process:
  1. Heat oil in a wok
  2. Add cumin seeds, black peppers, cloves, and cinnamon stick.
  3. Add onions.
  4. Let it cook till it turns light brown
  5. Add tomato paste.
  6. Let it cook till oil separates
  7. Add lal masala (Step 3) & salt
  8. Cook till oil separates and the masala is cooked
  9. Add chicken and chana dal.
  10. Add water as needed (I didn't put in a measurement for this as it actually depends on how well your dal has cooked)
  11. Cook till chicken and the dal has properly cooked and the gravy is at the consistency that you want.
  12. Serve hot with roti and salad.
NOTE: As I was serving this with roti I made it sort of dry instead of a gravy. You can make it according to your requirements just make sure that the dal is not over-cooked.

ENJOY!!!

11 Zayekedar Views!!!:

I have had meat and dal together while in Hyderabad. I think it's called dalcha or something. Thanks for this recipe will try sometime.

Initially , I thought u were adding chick peas ( channa dal), For my surprize this looks like channa dals used in vadas ( similar to toor dal). This is very new to me. Will try sometime.

Nice protein rich dish looks really good.

Wow chicken with dal sounds like a Zaikedar combination :-) Thanks for sharing this recipe...Thanks dear for being in my friends(followers) list . Would be glad to see you there again. Lovely space with yummy recipes....Following you too....

Keep in touch AZ

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

wow something different.....looks great!

Well lovely post dear! Channa and chicken? Very new and unique recipe!

Wow......... very different ...looks soo tempting .....nice click

Interesting recipe AZ....and looks yumm

Never thought of a combo like this..cool idea

Thanks everyone!! Yes this is a really great combo - it was my first time making it and came out good... looks like this will be a regular dish at home... :)

I do make. This. Combo but gonna try your way

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by at DesiZayeka and leaving your informative and lovely feedback. I appreciate and value each and every one of your opinions...

Enjoy your stay at DesiZayeka and keep dropping by for more recipes and my ramblings... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...