Smart People :)

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Masoor Pulao

Mumbai bleeds again! What a tragic day for a city that never sleeps but always faces ample loss of innocent lives. My heart goes out to the families of victims and prayers and strength goes out to people in the city and across India. Have faith, not in Indian Government, but in yourself and whatever you believe in. Wrong doers will be punished, sooner or later. 

Coming to today’s recipe, this recipe is very special to me. I didn’t grow up eating this pulao, but I learned it after my marriage. This is an all-time favorite item of every one at my in-laws. Right after my wedding December 2006, my in-laws went for Hajj (Islamic Pilgrimage). I didn’t really have enough time to spend with them, even though I stayed there for about 60 days after my wedding. First week, we of course went to our honeymoon and then next week my in-laws left. They were gone for 48 days, when they got back, the next week I left. My mother-in-law (Bade Ammi) is a great cook! I know this because I have eaten her food when I was young and my parents always praise her cooking as well. Masoor Pulao is Bade-Ammi’s one of the best dishes that she make and of course dear hubby Aatir goes gaga over it. 
When Aatir came to US, he always told me to make masoor pulao, I had no idea how to make it and on top of that I wasn’t quite sure if I and the rest of my family would like it or not as we are not a big pulao fan. One day I decided to surprise him and make this pulao and sure enough the task was completed and results were great. Not only me but everyone else (7 of them) in the family loved it and I couldn’t get over the fact that how easy it is to make it. I have only one ward to describe the taste – delicious, delicious, delicious.

I am also submitting this recipe to Iftar Moments Event hosted by Sister Ayeesha of Taste of Pearl City. This dish is perfect as a dinner item in the month of Ramadan.





  
Ingredients:
  1. Masoor ki Dal – ¼ cup, soaked for 3-4 hours and boiled for about 15 minutes.  
  2. Basmati rice – 3 cups. 
  3. Onions – three, thinly sliced.  
  4. Medium Potato – one, cut in cubes. 
  5. Green chilies – six or seven and slit in half. 
  6. Cumin seeds – ¼ tblsp.  
  7. Cinnamon stick – ½ inch.  
  8. Cardamoms – 3 or 4.
  9. Cloves – 3 or 4.
  10. Whole black peppers – 3 or 4. 
  11. Bay leaves – 2 or 3.  
  12. Yogurt – 1 cup.  
  13. Ginger-Garlic paste – 3 tblsp.  
  14. Coriander (fresh) – a bunch.  
  15. Mint leaves (fresh) – seven or eight.  
  16. Lamb meat – cut in small pieces and cleaned.  
  17. Salt per taste.  
  18. Cooking oil – five tblsp. 
  19. Crushed red peppers – ½ tblsp.  
  20. Crushed black peppers – ½ tblsp.  
  21. Water – 6 cups.
Process:
  1. In a pressure cooker, add two tblsp cooking oil and two sliced onions.
  2. Once oil is hot and onions start to cook, add in cleaned lamb meat and one tblsp ginger garlic paste.
  3. Close pressure cooker and let the meat cook for about 10-15 minutes or 7-8 whistles. (Note: This totally depends on how your pressure cooker works, please adjust accordingly).
  4. Once cooked keep the pressure cooker aside and let all the air come out on its own before opening the cooker.
  5. Make a fine paste of coriander and mint leaves and keep it aside.
  6. In a big wok, add remaining three tblsp of cooking oil and add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves, whole black peppers, and bay leaves.
  7. Once the seeds start to splutter, add the remaining sliced onions, and let it cook.
  8. When the onion starts to turn golden, add in cooked lamb meat, potato cubes, remaining ginger garlic paste, coriander-mint paste, green chilies, salt, and yogurt.
  9. Let the entire mixture cook till the oil separates.
  10. Now add half cooked masoor dal, and mix well.
  11. Add six cups of water, basmati rice, red and black crushed peppers, and mix well.
  12. Close the wok and let it cook till the rice grains are fully cooked and are fluffy.
  13. Before serving, mix well and garnish with fried onions (if available). 
  14. Serve with boiled eggs or Dahi Kachumber.

ENJOY!!!
 

Notes:

 
1. I cooked the pulao in pressure cooker as well, because it is faster. However, you can use either or. I believe if you cook in a wok, you need more water than if you do in a pressure cooker.

 
2. Rice and water ratio is 1 to 2, i.e. one cup rice – two cups of water.

 
3. Bade-Ammi cooks this dish using vegetable butter instead of cooking oil to give it a better taste; I used cooking oil instead given that we already consume so many calories in a day.

 
4. If you want a vegetarian pulao, you can omit the meat, but this pulao tastes best with lamb meat.

 
5. Bade-Ammi doesn’t use red and black crushed peppers, but I did to give it more color and texture.

 
6. Green chilies and peppers can be adjusted according to your taste.

5 Zayekedar Views!!!:

Looks delicious ....I have to try this

WOW!!! This is absolutely tempting & yummy!!!

the pulao looks fabulous!!!ver tempting..

Delicious looking Pulav, thank you for sending it to Iftar Moments :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by at DesiZayeka and leaving your informative and lovely feedback. I appreciate and value each and every one of your opinions...

Enjoy your stay at DesiZayeka and keep dropping by for more recipes and my ramblings... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...